Cancelled- Newburgh Day and Craft Fair- Due to Mother Nature and other things. Please watch this space for upcoming events.
Tax Bills– We would like to remind you that this year’s bill that you will be getting will show a total due for the 18 months, with payments being split into three payments, with due dates of August 31, 2015, November 30, 2015 and April 30, 2016. You have the choice of making the scheduled payments or if you want to continue paying annually you can do that to. Interest will begin accruing on the overdue amounts on September 1, 2015, December 1, 2015 and May 1, 2016 for the unpaid balances.
When you first look at your bill, the mil rate will appear shockingly high. However, it is higher because it covers 18 months. For comparison, our mil rate was $14.30 in 2014. For it to remain the same on the 18 month bill it would show as $21.45. With our proposed budget the mil rate will be $21.70 or if this was a 12 month budget it would be $14.47. At the end of the 18 months, the Town will return to a 12 month budget cycle and the mil rate will be based on that so should return to something closer to the $14.47 rate (or whatever is necessary for the budgetary needs of the Town). We will send a copy of this explanation letter with the bills that can be forwarded to your escrow or mortgage company.
Over the past few years the budget has been reduced for the Town. The overall amount does continue to increase due to increases in the school budget and decreases in Revenue Sharing from the State. As a Town, we do not have the power to control either of these. Citizens of the district have the right to voice their opinions and vote at the District Budget Meeting noted above. This is where the budget for the whole district is finalized. One of the biggest ways to keep our Town’s budget from growing by leaps and bounds is to try to put the reins on the School Budget and the only way that can happen is for citizens of the Town of Newburgh to attend and vote at the meeting. State Revenue Sharing cuts can be addressed through citizens expressing their opinions to their elected state representatives and the at the ballot box.
- Selectmen’s Meeting– Monday, July 13, 6:00pm
- Planning Board Meeting– Wednesday, August 5, 7:00pm.
- Community Café– Wednesday, July 15, 6pm. $5 per person. Please RSVP to Vicki by July 10 at 356-1528.
- Rec Committee Meeting– TBD- Volunteers Needed!
- Newburgh Day and Craft Fair- Saturday, July 18, 4pm to Fireworks (Rain date July 19)
- Fitness for All– Tuesdays at 8:30-9:20 AM (50 minute class), Newburgh Town Office, Class fee: $1. Participants are welcome to join anytime. Click for more information.
- Art Group- A weekly art group for adult artists to meet mornings and paint together is being held at the Town Office on Wednesday mornings at 10:00am. For more information, please call Kate Giffin at 234-3883 or e-mail: email@example.com
- Recycling– Recycling is the 2nd and 4th Friday of the month. We now have zerosort recycling. We have informational brochures in the office or you can download here. Upcoming Dates: June 12 & 26, July 10 & 24, August 14 & 28
Office Hours: Monday 9-6; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 8-5; Friday 8-12.
The need for Volunteers is Great! The Recreation and Cemetery Committees are both in need of members.
If you would like to receive the e-newsletter please contact the Town Office.
What Can We Do For You? Let us know! Drop in or send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Newburgh Guiding Principles
- Respect- We will observe the Golden Rule.
- Ethics-We will lead by example.
- Accountability-Our business will be open and visible.
- Communication-Listening is more important than talking.
- Teamwork/Partnership-The whole is often larger than the sum of its parts.
The Selectmen meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Monday of the month at 7pm at the Town Office. If a meeting is postponed due to inclement weather or a holiday the meeting will be held the next night.
If you have comments or suggestions for or about your website, or if you have pictures that you would like to see on the headers of your website email to swroguekelly@ hotmail.com.
Town Office – 2220 Western Ave, Newburgh, ME 04444
Phone – 234-4151 Fax – 234-2791